Wednesday, April 16, 2014

English Renaissance

The English Renaissance consisted of three eras, the early, middle and late renaissance. For my post I will be discussing the middle renaissance and how this period brought newer thoughts on design and new design styles. There was the introduction of William and Mary, Queen Anne, and four main designers: Chippendale, Adam, Hepplewhite, and Sheraton.
 
The style that was the most interesting was the Queen Anne design. This was the time of social living, so all design and furniture emphasized the use of parlors and sitting rooms. With this style the use of Chinese design and mahogany wood was very common. Queen Anne brought back the curved lines and the style of the cabriole leg, which was used in all types of furniture.
This is an Queen Anne winged chair with the cabriole leg.
This is a modern day version of the Queen Anne style.




Chippendale was a very known designer during this period of time and was very influential in his furniture designs. Some of these styles are displayed below, as he was most known for his different style of chairs. Chippendale's original designs are continuely used in current applications today.
Above is a Chippendale chair with the gothic style being emphasized.

Above is a modern day design which used CHippendale's chinese style chairs.
For the English Renaissance I viewed Katie and Kristina P's blogs. Both were very interesting and gave great knowledge about the English Renaissance era. Katie discussed the late Renaissance and how it was influential in its design. I learned more about the Adam style from her blog and glad she decided to discuss it since I did not in my blog. Kristina talked about the Queen Anne period, like I did, it was refreshing to read hers because she covered many thing that I did not cover, she went in more depth over the furniture. Both blogs were overall very interesting and each taught me something I didn't know before about the English Renaissance.
References

1 comment:

  1. I commented on your post at my blog: History1evp@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete